Joint Forces to Conduct Valiant Shield Exercise
PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - A U.S. Navy carrier strike group will join a U.S. Air Force expeditionary wing and Marine Corps units for exercise Valiant Shield 2012, Sept. 11- 19, in the vicinity of Guam.
This is the fourth exercise in the Valiant Shield series conducted by the United States. The first Valiant Shield took place in 2006.
The Valiant Shield series focuses on integrated joint training among U.S. military forces and enables real-world proficiency in sustaining joint forces' ability to detect, locate, track and engage units at sea, in the air, on land and in cyberspace in response to a range of mission areas. Throughout this exercise, safety and the environment are top priorities and were significantly considered throughout the planning process.
The following units and commands will take part in Valiant Shield 2012:
- USS George Washington (CVN 73) with Carrier Air Wing 5
- USS Cowpens (CG 63)
- USS John S. McCain (DDG 56)
- USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62)
- USS McCampbell (DDG 85)
- USS Chafee (DDG 90)
- USS Chung Hoon (DDG 93)
- USNS Amelia Earhart (T-AKE-6)
- USNS John Ericcson ((T-AO-194)
- Several Submarines
- Patrol Squadrons (VP) 58,40, and 69
- Air and test Evaluation Squadron (VX) 1
- Special Project Patrol Squadron (VPU) 2
- Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ) 1
- 613 Air Operations Center (AOC)
- 27th and 90th Expeditionary Fighter Squadrons (EFS)
- 67th Fighter Squadron (FS), 18th Aggressor Squadron (AS), 506th and 909th Air Refueling Squadrons (ARS)
- 12th Reconnaissance Squadron (RS)
- 527th Space Aggressor Squadron (SAS)
- 25th Space Range Squadron (SRS)
- 69th Expeditionary Bomber Squadron (EBS)
- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA(AW)) 225
- Marine Aerial Refueling Squadron (VMGR) 152
- Marine Air Control Squadron (MACS) 4
Media desiring to cover Valiant Shield 12 prior to exercise commencement should contact U.S. Pacific Fleet Public Affairs at (808) 471-3769.
Coverage of Valiant Shield activities will be available on the U.S. Pacific Fleet website.